The Decision to Go On

6. It was not possible, however, to let matters stand as they were. The

positions captured by us north of Flesquières were completely commanded

by the Bourlon Ridge, and unless this ridge were gained it would be

impossible to hold them, except at excessive cost. If I decided not to

go on a withdrawal to the Flesquières Ridge would be necessary, and

would have to be carried out at once.

On the other hand, the enemy showed certain signs of an intention to

withdraw. Craters had been formed at road junctions, and troops could be

seen ready to move east. The possession of Bourlon Ridge would enable

our troops to obtain observation over the ground to the north, which

sloped gently down to the Sensée River. The enemy's defensive lines

south of the Scarpe and Sensée Rivers would thereby be turned, his

communications exposed to the observed fire of our artillery, and his

positions in this sector jeopardized. In short, so great was the

importance of the ridge to the enemy that its loss would probably cause

the abandonment by the Germans of their carefully prepared defense

systems for a considerable distance to the north of it.

The successive days of constant marching and fighting had placed a very

severe strain upon the endurance of the troops, and, before a further

advance could be undertaken, some time would have to be spent in resting

and relieving them. This need for delay was regrettable, as the enemy's

forces were increasing, and fresh German divisions were known to be

arriving, but, with the limited number of troops at my command, it was

unavoidable.

It was to be remembered, however, that the hostile reinforcements coming

up at this stage could at first be no more than enough to replace the

enemy's losses; and although the right of our advance had definitely

been stayed, the enemy had not yet developed such strength about Bourlon

as it seemed might not be overcome by the numbers at my disposal. As has

already been pointed out, on the Cambrai side of the battlefield I had

only aimed at securing a defensive flank to enable the advance to be

pushed northward and northwestward, and this part of my task had been to

a large extent achieved.

An additional and very important argument in favor of proceeding with my

attack was supplied by the situation in Italy, upon which a continuance

of pressure on the Cambrai front might reasonably be expected to

exercise an important effect, no matter what measure of success attended

my efforts. Moreover, two divisions previously under orders for Italy

had on this day been placed at my disposal, and with this accession of

strength the prospect of securing Bourlon seemed good.

After weighing these various considerations, therefore, I decided to

continue the operations to gain the Bourlon position.

Nov. 22 was spent in organizing the captured ground, in carrying out

certain reliefs, and in giving other troops the rest they greatly

needed. Soon after midday the enemy regained Fontaine-notre-Dame; but

with our troops already on the outskirts of Bourlon Wood and Cantaing

held by us, it was thought that the recapture of Fontaine should not

prove very difficult. The necessary arrangements for renewing the attack

were therefore pushed on, and our plans were extended to include the

recapture of Fontaine-notre-Dame.

Meanwhile, early in the night of Nov. 22, a battalion of the Queen's

Westminsters stormed a commanding tactical point in the Hindenburg line

west of Moeuvres known as Tadpole Copse, the possession of which would

be of value in connection with the left flank of the Bourlon position

when the latter had been secured.

Current History: A Monthly Magazine of the New York Times, May 1918 Vol. VIII, Part I, No. 2 · 第 323 / 400 题