SOME OF GORDON'S TELEGRAMS (1884).

=Source.=--_Parliamentary Papers_, "Egypt," No. 12 of 1884.

_P. 156. Major-General Gordon to Sir E. Baring. Khartoum, March 3,

1884._

... I am strongly against any permanent retention of the Soudan,

but I think we ought to leave it with decency, and give the

respectable people a man to lead them, around whom they can rally,

and we ought to support that man by money and by opening road to

Berber. Pray do not consider me in any way to advocate retention of

Soudan; I am quite averse to it, but you must see that you could

not recall me, nor could I possibly obey, until the Cairo employés

get out from all the places. I have named men to different places,

thus involving them with Mahdi: how could I look the world in the

face if I abandoned them and fled? As a gentleman, could you advise

this course? It may have been a mistake to send me up, but that

having been done I have no option but to see evacuation through,

for even if I was mean enough to escape I have no power to do so.

_P. 161. The Same to the Same. Khartoum, March 9, 1884, 11.30 p.m._

If you mean to make the proposed diversion to Berber [of British

troops], and to accept my proposal as to Zobeir, to install him

in the Soudan and evacuate, then it is worth while to hold on to

Khartoum. If, on the other hand, you determine on neither of these

steps, then I can see no use in holding on to Khartoum, for it is

impossible for me to help the other garrisons, and I shall only

be sacrificing the whole of the troops and employés here. In this

latter case your instructions to me had better be that I should

evacuate Khartoum, and, with all the employés and troops, remove

the seat of Government to Berber. You would understand that such

a step would mean the sacrificing of all outlying places except

Berber and Dongola. You must give a prompt reply to this, as

even the retreat to Berber may not be in my power in a few days;

and even if carried out at once, the retreat will be of extreme

difficulty.

_P. 161. Same Date, 11.40 p.m._

If the immediate evacuation of Khartoum is determined upon,

irrespective of outlying towns, I would propose to send all Cairo

employés and white troops with Colonel Stewart to Berber, where he

would await your orders. I would also ask Her Majesty's Government

to accept the resignation of my commission, and I would take

all steamers and stores up to the Equatorial and Bahr Gazelle

provinces, and consider those provinces as under the King of the

Belgians.

[_P. 160._ Sir E. Baring comments that, owing to interruption of

the telegraph line, these and other messages did not reach him till

March 12. He instructed Gordon to hold on at Khartoum until he

could communicate further with the British Government, and on no

account to proceed to the Bahr Gazelle and Equatorial provinces.]

_P. 152. Earl Granville to Sir E. Baring, March 13, 1884._

If General Gordon is of opinion that the prospect of his early

departure diminishes the chance of accomplishing his task, and that

by staying at Khartoum himself for any length of time which he may

judge necessary he would be able to establish a settled Government

at that place, he is at liberty to remain there. In the event of

his being unable to carry out this suggestion, he should evacuate

Khartoum and save that garrison by conducting it himself to Berber

without delay.

Imperialism and Mr. Gladstone (1876-1887) · 第 81 / 117 题