DEAR SIR,

I wrote a short note to Colonel Barclay last night, informing him

of the change that had taken place here, in consequence of the

communication received by the officers of the garrison from the

different committees of the other stations, and particularly that of

the Hyderabad force, in which they were instructed to call upon me

for an instant assurance that the orders of the 1st of May would be

rescinded: and, if I refused to give it, to throw off their allegiance

and obedience to Government; and they were assured their example would

be instantly followed by every corps in the service: and part of the

Hyderabad force was, they were told, ready to march to their support.

The ferment which the receipt of those letters occasioned is not to be

described.

I sent for some of the senior officers, and communicated my sentiments

regarding the irretrievable step this garrison was on the point of

taking; and pointed out, in the strongest colours, all the horrors

to which it would lead. I told them I must proceed to do my duty

if I found any rash resolution was taken, and that it would prove

the commencement of the most horrid and unnatural contest that ever

occurred. The truth of my arguments were admitted by some of those

to whom I spoke; and their efforts, after a great struggle, calmed

the minds of the others so far, that they agreed to wait for six days

further. This, I stated, was nothing. It was, in fact, better to come

to issue at once. That it had been my intention to have proceeded (in

consequence of authority I had received from you) instantly into the

inquiry of past transactions; and that I had meant, if I had thought

there was no fear of this garrison throwing off its allegiance while

I was absent, to have gone to Madras, and made this report in person;

but, if their sentiments did not alter, I could not carry that

resolution into execution. They stated their belief that the officers

of the garrison of Masulipatam would be most reluctant to refuse assent

to any proposition of mine that did not go to detach them from that

general cause to which they had sworn to sacrifice their lives; and

that though they knew, from what had passed, that I would give them

neither promises nor pledges, nor even communicate my opinion of the

probable measures of Government, they hoped there would be no objection

to my proceeding; and a pledge would be given, that unless other parts

of the army moved, or threw off their allegiance, that the garrison

of Masulipatam would remain dutiful and obedient till I returned to

communicate the resolution of Government, or till that was intimated

through some other channel.

I have considered it of great importance to delay that open opposition

to which this garrison has been excited by every station in the army,

as I was certain, under whatever circumstances it might occur, it

would be the signal for the whole to throw off their obedience. The

garrison here is not more than 1,100 effective men (exclusive of the

artillery); and if an effort had been successful to detach the men

from their officers, who are, to a man, combined against Government,

it would not have prevented the explosion; it would but have increased

that despair and madness which are impelling men to these acts of

disobedience: and no partial benefit that could have arisen, would

have counterbalanced the general effect of this measure. Besides, I

cannot speak with confidence of the success of this attempt: the _men

even_ of this garrison have been already debauched from their duty;

and as it has been hitherto my object to reclaim the officers to their

allegiance, and at all events to delay the execution of their plans,

it was incompatible with the success of such a line of conduct to

attempt to sound their men, or to make any private efforts to shake

their attachment to their officers. Such attempts would have produced

an instant open mutiny: and this, for causes before stated, I was

anxious to avoid. Besides, such an expedient would have been baneful

to the service, and was not to be resorted to while a hope remained of

reclaiming the officers to a sense of their duty.

I hope these reasons will satisfy you of the wisdom of the part I have

taken; and you must see, that unless I wish to precipitate the general

revolt of the whole of the Company's army, I could not, if I remained

here and waited your answer to my report, take any steps with the men

to secure their fidelity: and I shall (if it is your wish I should)

return to this command with your final orders, as strong, and probably

stronger, in influence, (as coming direct from the seat of authority,)

as I should have been, had I remained till your answer was received.

There is little chance of any thing occurring when I am away, as most

stations look to this; and the result of your proceedings on the report

I make will be awaited. Thus the Government will gain time, which,

under every plan you can mean to pursue, must be an advantage to you,

and a disadvantage to those combined against your authority. Their

insanity is at this instant at its height; and every moment that action

is delayed, reason has a chance of operating. Besides, their committees

are likely to differ in opinions; and this is a proof of weakness some

of them already begin to discover.

I have not lost a moment, as I will show you by my journal, and letter

book, when I arrive, in disseminating correct sentiments, and in

exposing to them in the boldest manner the true nature of that deep

guilt on which they are rushing.

I have drawn their attention to a very different picture of the dangers

and ruin that will attend their perseverance in this course from what

they have hitherto contemplated; and though the proceedings have

brought a thousand calumnies upon my head, I know great effect has

been produced in the quarters where it is most essential; among the

senior and thinking part, whom it has been my object to rouse; as I am

satisfied, if extremes are resorted to, they will command the men.

When to all the reasons I have stated for my proceeding to Madras

immediately, (that is, in three or four days from this date,) is added

the advantage you may receive from the very extensive information I

can give you of the temper of the army, and of their general plans

of combination and action, I cannot but anticipate your approbation

of this step. At all events, you must be satisfied nothing but a

conscientious conviction of its being essential to the public interests

could have led me to take it without your previous sanction.

I am, with respect,

Yours faithfully,

(Signed) JOHN MALCOLM.

P.S. I have, since writing the above, seen some of the senior officers,

who assure me that they and their brother officers are as jealous

of my honour as they would be of their own; and that if I think it

necessary to go to Madras, they will pledge themselves for the orderly

and dutiful conduct of the whole till my return, unless in the very

unlikely case of other stations rising in arms, which they will do

every thing in their power to prevent, by representing to them the

pledge they have made, which they will assure them is voluntary, and

has been made without the slightest promise from me. I have, indeed,

cautiously avoided any communication that could lead them to believe I

entertained an opinion that Government would make any concession; and

the same language is held, in the private letters I have communicated

to them, with regard to the actual situation of the army at this moment.

I feel now much more assured of the continued subordination of this

garrison during the period of my absence than if I was present.

TO LIEUTENANT-COLONEL BARCLAY.

Masulipatam, 21st July, 1809.

Observations on the Disturbances in the Madras Army in 1809 · 第 19 / 52 题