DU PORTAIL AND HAMILTON TO WASHINGTON.

Great Egg Harbor Landing, October 26, 1779.

Sir:

We are honored with two letters from your Excellency, of the 10th

and 21st; to the contents of which we beg leave to assure you of our

strictest attention.

That of the 18th has not yet come to hand. It is not improbable, it has

gone round by Lewistown, which has occasioned the delay.

Colonel Hamilton wrote to your Excellency from Philadelphia,

acquainting you with our arrival there, and our intention to proceed

to Lewistown, Cape Henlopen, and from Great Egg Harbor, communicating

our progress since, and our determination to establish ourselves at

Bat Stove Furnace. We have since fixed on this place, about forty-four

miles from the extremity of Cape May (eighteen miles short of the

Furnace, which we found to be more remote than had been represented),

and, as far as we have been able to learn, from 100 to 110 miles of

Sandy Hook, and about 50 from Philadelphia. Your Excellency will easily

perceive the reason of our choosing this station. It did not appear to

us, from our inquiries in Philadelphia, to be a point well ascertained,

that the fleet would stop at the Delaware; and the time which had

elapsed, made it more possible, if the Count should be determined to

prosecute any further operations on the continent, that he would not

lose time by a procedure of this sort, but might content himself with

sending some transports, under escort of a few frigates, to receive the

provisions for the fleet, and proceed himself directly on to the Hook.

On this supposition, our position at Lewistown was entirely ineligible.

The distance at which we were from the city, as well as from the Hook;

the delays that would consequently attend our intelligence from every

quarter; the difficulty and impossibility, sometimes, of traversing

the Bay, made our first situation inconvenient in every respect, in

the event of the fleet’s proceeding immediately to the Hook. These

considerations induced us to cross the Delaware, and take the position

at which we now are; where, or in the vicinity, we propose to remain

till the arrival of the Count; till intelligence from him decides the

inutility of a longer stay; or till we receive your Excellency’s orders

of recall.

We have now a better relation to the different points in which we

are interested, and have taken the necessary precautions to gain the

earliest notice of whatever happens. We have stationed expresses at

the pitch of the Cape, and have established a regular communication

with Major Lee, and with the city. If the fleet should appear off the

Delaware, we can be there in twelve hours after its first appearance;

and if at the Hook, in less than four days; provided Major Lee is

punctual in conveying the intelligence, and the expresses, from either

side, in bringing it.

By recent information from Philadelphia (though not quite so distinct

and accurate as we could wish), we find, that so late as the fourth of

this month, the Count, as yet, was to open his batteries against the

enemy at Savannah. The time that will probably intervene between this

and the final reduction; the re-embarkation of the Count’s troops; the

dispositions for sailing, and his arrival on this coast; may, we fear,

exhaust the season too much to permit of the co-operation to which our

mission relates.

We do not, however, despair; for if the Count has been fully

successful to the southward, and should shortly arrive (which may be

the case), the enterprise may possibly go on.

In a letter from Major Lee, of the 22d, he informs us, that a vessel

from Georgia arrived on the 16th; since which the two sixty-fours, and

the Renown, which were at the Hook, had fallen down towards New-York;

and the troops at the Hook had embarked and gone to the city. At first

sight, this account alarmed us, and made us apprehensive that the enemy

had received some favorable advices from the southward, which put

them out of danger, and superseded the necessity of continuing their

preparations for defence. But, on further reflection, we think it more

probable, that this is only a change of disposition; and that finding,

on closer examination, they would be unable to defend the Hook, they

had determined to relinquish the attempt.

This seems the more likely, as Major Lee mentions, that a part of the

hulks, sunk in the channel, had gotten afloat and drifted ashore.

To this experience of the difficulty of obstructing the channel, may,

perhaps, be attributed the change we suppose. And we are confirmed in

this conjecture, by the evacuation of the two posts at King’s Ferry,

which appears, by your Excellency’s letter, to have taken place on the

21st, five days after the supposed arrival of the vessel from Georgia;

a proof that they had not received information of any decisive good

fortune on their side, or ill fortune on ours; and that they persisted

in their defensive plan. We are persuaded, too, that their exultation

would have given wings to any good news they might have received,

and that it would have reached us before this. Were the season less

advanced, we should regret this change of disposition; because we

believe the attempt to defend the entrance of the Hook would have been

fruitless; and it might have thrown a part of their ships, and of their

troops, into our hands, in the first instance, which could not fail to

facilitate the successive operations.

But, at this late period, it may rather be an advantage. To force the

passage, might have required land operations against the Hook, which

would lose time and expose the fleet to the hazard of winds, which

would have rendered its situation critical. Now, the fleet may probably

enter the bay, on its first approach, and be in security: and the whole

operation will be brought to a point, and may demand less time for its

accomplishment.

As a large number of fascines, ready for use, appear to us essential

to any operations that may be undertaken, we presume your Excellency

has been preparing, and will continue to prepare as many as possible.

We beg leave to suggest the utility of having, at the same time, a

sufficient number of gabions and sand bags. Of the former, Colonel

Gouvion, if your Excellency thinks proper, may be charged with

the constructing: the latter may be made under the care of the

Quarter-Master at Philadelphia. Several thousands may be necessary. The

usual dimensions are fifteen or eighteen inches long, and twelve wide.

If notwithstanding the advices from Major Lee, any thing by land is to

be attempted against the Hook, these will be peculiarly useful on such

a flat, sandy spot; and, indeed, it would be impracticable to construct

batteries, in any reasonable time, without them.

We have the honor to be,

Sir, your most obedient and

Humble servants,

A. Hamilton.

Du Portail.

His Excellency Gen. Washington.

The works of Alexander Hamilton (vol. 1 of 7) · 第 89 / 337 题