CHAPTER XXXVIII.

ADVANCE TO KORTI.

Meanwhile disquieting rumours with regard to Gordon had reached Cairo,

and Sir Evelyn Baring telegraphed to Lord Wolseley on November 3rd,

asking him whether he had any reason to believe that there was any

foundation for the reports which had been current in Cairo for the last

few days, that Khartoum had been taken, and that Gordon was a prisoner.

Lord Wolseley telegraphed from Dongola the same day to the following

effect:--

"Major Kitchener telegraphs to Sir C. Wilson that he has seen a

man named Ibrahim Wad-Beel, who recently came from the Arabs

some distance south. He said all was quiet, and when Gordon

received our messenger, he fired a salute, and held a parade of

troops. A second telegram from Major Kitchener, dated November

3, announces that Haji Abdallah had arrived, and stated that a

man from Shendy reported that the Mahdi came with a strong force

to Omdurman and asked General Gordon to surrender. General

Gordon replied that he would hold Khartoum for years."

The information as to the position of Khartoum up to this date was as

follows:--

On the 8th October a letter had reached Cairo from M. Herbin, the French

Consular Agent at Khartoum. It was as follows:--

"_Khartoum, July 29, 1884._

"We are in a strong position at Khartoum. No need for alarm,

unless it be the want of provisions (in two months our

provisions will be exhausted). There is abundance of

ammunition. The least assistance would enable us to relieve the

town. If at the moment of eating our last biscuit we were to

attempt to retire in a body northwards, the retreat could only

be effected at the cost of immense exertions and dangers (the

means of transport are wanting). Besides this, the people would

rise to a man to pillage the convoy. A few determined men might

attempt to escape southwards to the Equator, but it would be

necessary to abandon most of our soldiers, and all the women

and children. Gordon Pasha has decided that he will share the

fate of the town, and I think it my duty to share that of the

few Frenchmen shut up here. Except for unforeseen

circumstances, you can even now foresee what will happen."

On October 31st Sir E. Baring had received a telegram stating that an

Arab of the Kababish tribe had brought the news that the Mahdi's troops

had attacked Gordon's force at Omdurman opposite Khartoum, a few days

before, but the attack was repulsed. In a telegram dated Debbeh,

November 2nd, a correspondent gave the following additional news:--

"Gordon attacked the rebels at Omdurman with a flotilla of

twelve vessels, including steamers. For eight hours the

engagement lasted. There were 25,000 rebels, and they had four

Krupp guns. One gun burst. They retreated, leaving enormous

numbers of dead behind them. The fugitives retired to Markeat,

but were returning with an additional force."

On the 1st November, Sir E. Baring had received communications from

Gordon to the effect that on the date they were sent off, viz., 13th

July, Khartoum was "all right and could hold out for four months."

The next letter received from Gordon appears to have been the following.

Though dated in August, it was not received till the 23rd November.

It was as follows:--

"_General Gordon to Sir E. Baring._

"_Khartoum, August 5, 1884._

"We are sending up steamers to Senaar, on Blue Nile, to open

route. Arabs have left our vicinity in nearly all directions.

When steamers come back we hope to recapture Berber by

surprise, to place garrison in it, and Stewart and Power will

descend Nile to Dongola and communicate with you. The garrison

of Berber (to which I shall give provisions for three months)

will be the Egyptian troops from this place; and I also shall

make the foreign Consuls go down to Berber. I can look after

security of Berber for two months, after which time I cannot be

longer responsible for it, and you must relieve it from

Dongola, or let the garrison perish and Berber be again taken

by Arabs. You will dislike this arrangement, perhaps, but I

have no option; and it would entail no risks to you, seeing

that Berber will be held during your advance.

"All well here, and troops elated at the result of their recent

victories."

Notwithstanding every effort to get the troops up the river as rapidly

as possible, so many difficulties intervened that the task occupied much

longer than had been anticipated. Early in November Wolseley telegraphed

that, owing to steamers breaking down, difficult coaling, and scarcity

of native labour, he did not expect to concentrate his force at Ambukol,

on the Nile just above Old Dongola, until the end of the year.

The necessity for pushing forward with all possible despatch was made

clear to Wolseley by a letter of much later date, received from Gordon

on the 17th November, saying that he could hold out for forty days with

ease, but that after that time it would be difficult. The following is

an extract:--

"_Khartoum, 4th November, 1884._

"Post came in yesterday from Debbeh, Kitchener, dated 14th

October, cypher letter from Lord Wolseley, 20th September last,

which I cannot decipher, for Colonel Stewart took the cypher

with him. No other communications have been received here since

31st, letter which arrived a week after Stewart's steamer left

this.

"At Metammeh, waiting your orders, are five steamers with nine

guns. We can hold out forty days with ease; after that it will

be difficult. Terrible about loss of steamer. I sent Stewart,

Power, and Herbin down, telling them to give you all

information. With Stewart was the journal of all events from

1st March to the 10th September. The steamer carried a gun and

had a good force on board.

"Since 10th March we have had up to date, exclusive of

Kitchener's 14th October, only two despatches; one, Dongola,

with no date; one from Souakim, 5th May; one of same import,

27th April. I have sent out a crowd of messengers in all

directions during eight months. I should take the road from

Ambukol to Metammeh, where my steamers wait for you. Leontides,

Greek Consul-General, Hanswell, Austrian Consul, all right.

Stewart, Power, and Herbin went down in the _Abbas_. Your

expedition is for relief of garrison, which I failed to

accomplish. I decline to agree that it is for me personally.

You may not know what has passed here. The Arabs camped outside

Khartoum on the 12th March; we attacked them on the 16th March,

got defeated and lost heavily, also a gun. We then from that

date had continual skirmishes with Arabs.

* * * * *

"The soldiers are only half a-month in arrears. We issue paper

money, and also all the cloth in magazines. All the captives

with the Mahdi are well. The nuns, to avoid an Arab marriage,

are ostensibly married to Greeks. Slatin is with Mahdi, and has

all his property, and is well treated; but I hear to-day he is

in chains.

"A mysterious Frenchman[105] is with Mahdi, who came from

Dongola. We have got a decoration made and distributed, with a

grenade in the centre; three classes--gold, silver, pewter.

Kitchener says he has sent letters and got none in reply. I

have sent out during last month at least ten. Steamer with this

leaves to-morrow for Metammeh. Do not let any Egyptian soldiers

come up here; take command of steamers direct, and turn out

Egyptian fellaheen. If capture of steamer with Stewart is

corroborated, tell French Consul-General that Mahdi has the

cypher he gave Herbin. Hassen Effendi, telegraph clerk, was

with Stewart. You should send a party to the place to

investigate affairs and take the steamer."

On the 15th November, Lord Hartington telegraphed to Lord Wolseley to

know how the information in Gordon's letter affected his plans. In

reply, his Lordship, who had gone back to Wady Halfa, to hurry forward

the expedition, stated that Gordon's letter made no change in his plans,

but that it seemed to indicate the almost impossibility of Gordon's

relief without fighting, adding that he, Wolseley, had sent Gordon the

following message:--"Wady Halfa, November 17, 1884. Yours of 4th inst.

received 17th; the first I have had from you. I shall be at Kasr Dongola

in four days."

A few days later an Arab merchant who arrived at Dongola from Khartoum

_viâ_ Shendy and Ambukol, and who had come by the desert route, stated

that both water and fodder were plentiful. This news was confirmed by a

messenger who returned to Dongola from Khartoum on the 19th November.

On the 28th a messenger sent by Gordon arrived at Dongola with a letter

addressed to the Khedive, Nubar Pasha, and Baring, in cypher, and dated

as far back as the 9th September. The letter began:--

"There is money and provisions in Khartoum for four months,

after which we shall be embarrassed."

A telegram from Gordon to Sir E. Baring and Nubar Pasha, undated, but

received 29th November, gave the following details:--

"Seeing now that the Nile is high, and steamers can go as far as

Berber, I have formed an expedition of 2,000 men of the Khartoum

garrison, which will proceed by steamers in order to rescue the

Mudirieh of Berber from the hands of the rebels. After its

recovery this force will remain at Berber with food for two

months only, and if in that time the relieving army does not

reach Berber in order to reinforce it, the Nile will have fallen

and the islands will be dry, and the same result will ensue as

before. Therefore it is to be hoped that the necessary troops

will be sent to seize the Ghesireh of Berber while the Nile is

high; and Stewart is going down in the small steamer, the

_Abbas_, to proceed to Dongola by way of Berber, in order to

communicate (with you) on the Soudan question."

On the 29th November a messenger who had been despatched with a letter

to Gordon, but had been taken prisoner not far from Khartoum, and had

subsequently made his escape, came into camp. He reported that the

Mahdi's troops were suffering from disease, food was very dear, the

Arabs were deserting, but the Kordofan men were faithful to him; that

Gordon sent to the Mahdi, inviting him, if he were the real Mahdi, to

dry up the Nile and cross over; that five hundred regulars recently went

over to Gordon; that the regulars still with the Mahdi were

discontented; that on the 14th he saw an attack made on Khartoum between

the Blue and White Niles; that it was repulsed, and the Mahdi, who was

looking on, was very angry because it had been made without his orders.

Aware that time was of paramount importance, Wolseley, in order to

stimulate his men to exertion, offered a prize of £100 to the battalion

which should make the quickest passage from Sarras to Debbeh, twenty

miles further up the river, a measure which was much criticized by a

portion of the British Press.[106]

Wolseley now gave orders for the formation of a small naval brigade, to

be commanded by Lord Charles Beresford, his naval aide-de-camp.[107]

On the 23rd November, some cases of smallpox having occurred at Dongola,

Sir Herbert Stewart started to select another camping-ground at Debbeh,

a little further up the river.

All the remaining troops destined to take part in the expedition reached

Wady Halfa by the end of November, with the exception of the 1st

battalion of the Cameron Highlanders, which remained at Korosko.

The advance in force from Dongola commenced on the 2nd December, from

which date the troops as they arrived were moved on beyond Debbeh to

Ambukol, where a depôt for supplies had been formed and placed in charge

of Stewart. The head-quarters were established at the latter place on

the 12th December. From Ambukol the force was moved a few miles further

up the river to Korti, a much healthier spot.

Sir Herbert Stewart, with the Mounted Infantry and Guards' Camel Corps,

reached Korti on the 15th December, after a march along the east bank of

the Nile.

Wolseley's arrival at Korti on the 16th was followed by that of the

South Staffordshire Regiment. The last companies of the South

Staffordshire, with part of the Sussex Regiment, reached the front on

the 22nd, and they were speedily followed by other detachments. The

Light Camel Corps, under Colonel M'Calmont, arrived on the 24th, after a

twenty days' march from Wady Halfa, and at the same time the Heavy Camel

Corps came up from Debbeh. General Buller, the Chief of the Staff,

reached the front soon afterwards.

Of the Nile journey Wolseley reported to Lord Hartington, "The English

boats have up to this point fulfilled all my expectations. The men are

in excellent health, fit for any trial of strength, as the result of

constant manual labour."

As a commentary on the above, it may be mentioned that nine out of

sixteen boats which brought up some of the Duke of Cornwall's Regiment

were lost, and the remainder, owing to the slightness of their build,

had to be patched with tin to prevent their sinking--over fifty boats in

all were lost. There can be no doubt as to the "constant manual labour"

mentioned by Lord Wolseley. The men arrived in a deplorable plight, many

of them without either boots or trousers. A more ragged set of soldiers

never arrived at the seat of war. According to one account there was

literally not a sound garment in the whole column, and the men resembled

Falstaff's ragged regiment rather than a body of British troops.

By Christmas Day, a great part of the expeditionary force was

concentrated at Korti.[108]

It now became necessary to decide upon the route to be adopted by the

expeditionary force in order to reach Khartoum. The one important

question to consider was that of time; already the journey up the river

had taken much longer than was expected. The season during which

military operations could be carried on was limited, and if, as had

been intended, the expedition was to return before the hot weather

there was not a day to spare. Moreover, Gordon's latest communications

showed that he was rapidly running short of provisions, and if not

speedily relieved Khartoum must fall.

As a military operation, the route by the Nile offered many advantages,

and had time permitted there is no doubt that Wolseley's whole force

would have gone that way. But the distance to be traversed requiring

months for its accomplishment, rendered it imperative to adopt some

other expedient if Gordon was to be relieved at all. Under these

circumstances, it was determined to divide the expeditionary force into

two columns, one to proceed across the desert to Metammeh, a distance of

185 miles, and thence to Khartoum, and the other to proceed by the river

up the Nile Valley.

Shortly stated, Wolseley's plans for the campaign were as follows:--

1st. By despatching a column across the desert to Metammeh to secure the

shortest passage to Khartoum, and at the same time to hold the wells at

Gakdul and Abu Klea, and to occupy Metammeh whilst communications were

maintained with Gordon.

2nd. By despatching a second column along the Nile Valley to disperse

the rebels around Hamdab, fifty-two miles distant from Korti, to punish

the Monassir tribes for the murder of Colonel Stewart, to leave Berti in

safety, to rid Abu Hamid of the enemy, and to open up the desert route

from thence to Korosko, whence stores and ammunition for an attack on

Berber would be forwarded. Thus covering a great bend of the Nile, the

column would operate on Berber, dislodge the rebels there, and join

hands with the other column on the banks of the Nile at Metammeh.

In a letter to the Secretary at War, Wolseley gives the reasons for

adopting the above plan of operations in the following words:--

"I had always thought it possible that upon arrival here I might

find it necessary to operate beyond this point in two

columns--one continuing up the river in our English-built boats,

while the other pushed rapidly across the desert to Metammeh,

and it was with the view of securing to myself the power of

moving across this desert that I proposed the formation of a

Camel Brigade.

"Any march across this desert with a small column, as an

isolated operation, would be hazardous, and for the purpose of

my mission a most useless undertaking. Such a column would most

probably be able to fight its way into Khartoum; possibly it

might fight its way out again; but it could never bring away

General Gordon and his garrison in safety. Undertaken, however,

under present circumstances, the march of a small force across

this desert presents a very different aspect. The so-called

Mahdi and his supporters are well aware that they have to deal

not only with it, but also with the English army, which they

know is advancing up the Nile on Khartoum by Abu Hamid and

Berber. Upon arrival here I had to decide whether I should keep

all my force together and follow the Nile Valley to Khartoum,

or to divide it into two columns--one following the river,

while the other was pushed rapidly across to Metammeh.

"If I were not restricted by time, the first course would be by

far the most satisfactory, the safest, and would insure the

best results; but I know that General Gordon is pressed by want

of food, and the hot season is not far off, when military

operations in this country are trying to the health of European

soldiers. I therefore decided upon the last-mentioned course."

The first, or Desert column, was placed under the command of Sir Herbert

Stewart, and consisted of men mainly belonging to different sections of

the Camel Corps; a company of the Royal Engineers, part of the 19th

Hussars, and detachments of the Commissariat and Medical Corps. The

force was to be accompanied by 2,000 camels for the purposes of

transport. Sir Charles Wilson was to proceed with Stewart, and to the

former was allotted the task of opening up communication with Gordon

when once the Nile should be struck at Metammeh.

Lord Charles Beresford and a small body of seamen were told off to

accompany the force, to take possession of any of Gordon's steamers

which might be found at Metammeh. A detachment of infantry was to

proceed to Khartoum by the steamers, and Sir Charles Wilson was

empowered on entering Khartoum to march his men through the city to show

the people that British troops were at hand, but he was directed only to

stay long enough to confer with Gordon.

The Nile column was placed under Major-General Earle, and consisted of

the Staffordshire and Duke of Cornwall's Regiments, the Black Watch, the

Gordon Highlanders, a squadron of the 19th Hussars, a battery of

Egyptian Artillery, an Egyptian Camel Corps, and the auxiliary native

troops of the Mudir of Dongola. The whole, with transport, numbered

about 3,000 men.

The Egyptian campaigns, 1882 to 1885 · 第 11 / 43 章