April 10th, 1789.
MY DEAR BROTHER,
I have just received your letter of the 7th, and feel myself bound
to answer the question which you put to me as directly and as
explicitly as I am able to do. The business remains hitherto in the
same situation as when I wrote last to you. A further answer has
been received from Major Taylor, in which he still persists in his
former refusal; but by some confusion about dates, it is not
perfectly clear whether this is his final answer to the
notification which had been made to him, that he must renounce his
further expectations from the King if he refuses this. We were
desirous to delay any communication with the King upon the subject,
till it was perfectly clear that the plea of his engagement to
Taylor was removed by the refusal of the latter, because we thought
that, under those circumstances, the representation of what was due
to you would come with greater force. I am, however, obliged to say
that there is a further difficulty, even supposing this of Taylor
to be removed by his refusal. The King has destined _his_ Majority
of Dragoons to Garth, one of his equerries, and has had the folly
and precipitation to communicate this intention to Garth. Under
these circumstances, it appears doubtful whether even a final
refusal from Taylor would remove the plea of actual engagement, and
whether Nugent's appointment would not still meet with the same
difficulty on account of its not opening a Majority of Dragoons for
Garth. You will observe that I speak only from a general idea of
the King's feelings and habits of thinking and acting on these
subjects, when I state these probable difficulties, but that I have
no further information as to his disposition in this particular
instance, than I had when I wrote to you last.
This will, however, now be brought in some measure to a point, as
Pitt and myself have agreed that there should be no further delay;
but that he should now write to the King to state Taylor's last
answer of refusal, and to express his hope, that in consequence of
this, His Majesty will, under all the circumstances of the case, be
disposed to comply with your recommendation of Colonel Nugent.
It has occurred to us, that even if the King should obstinately
persist in a refusal on this occasion, there is another solution
which you might possibly deem satisfactory. You will recollect that
the business of Colonel Gwynne closed last year, by the King's
consenting that Nugent should have the office of Adjutant-General,
provided any arrangement could be made by you for Faucitt. Neither
Pitt nor myself ever knew from you on what point your negotiation
with Faucitt broke off. But if that could be renewed, Pitt
authorizes me to say that he could find the means of opening a ten
Sh. Government for him in England immediately, and that he has no
doubt of the King's consent to the arrangement, even preceding the
signing Taylor's commission.
You, however, will best know how far this mode of arranging the
business would be satisfactory to you, and what probability there
would be of bringing it to bear, with the assistance which I state.
If you feel this to be impossible, there will then remain nothing
but to press the King on the other point as far as possible, and at
last, if it is found absolutely necessary, to give him to
understand that his option must be made between his Major Taylor
and his Major Garth on the one hand, and his Lord-Lieutenant of
Ireland on the other. You do justice to the manner in which I have
felt and written to you on this occasion, and it is extremely
satisfactory to me to know that you are not insensible to the
warmth and sincerity of my affection and gratitude towards you. Let
me therefore, upon that ground, presume so far only as to beg that
you will not send your resignation, or notify formally (or indeed
in any other manner) your intention so to do, till you learn from
me that I am convinced all other steps will be ineffectual. I
persuade myself that this is a trust which you will not believe me
capable of abusing, however unwilling I must be, on so many
accounts, to see you driven to the necessity of taking this last
and decisive step.
I mentioned also to you, in my last letter, the reasons which I
feel for wishing that, in all events, the actual execution of this
measure may be delayed till the conclusion of the session. I press
this for reasons personal to you, and which I feel very strongly,
although the interval will unquestionably be very embarrassing to
you, and perhaps even more distressing to myself. But I am desirous
of knowing how far you feel the force of those reasons, and what
your determination would be in that case, because I think it might
make some difference in the manner of stating your intention to the
King, if this should be rendered necessary.
I feel it needless to repeat to you what I have already said of my
intentions respecting my own conduct; and I hope you do me the
justice to believe, that however deeply I am involved in the result
of this business, my first anxiety is that it may terminate in a
manner consistent with your honour, character, and happiness.
Believe me, my dear brother,
Most affectionately yours,
W. W. G.